Used for belonging to, relating to, or connected with:
- The secret of this game is that you can’t ever win.
- The highlight of the show is at the end.
- The first page of the book describes the author’s profile.
- Don’t touch it. That’s the bag of my friend’s sister.
- I always dreamed of being rich and famous.
Used to indicate reference:
- I got married in the summer of 2000.
- This is a picture of my family.
- I got a discount of 10 percent on the purchase.
Used to indicate an amount or number:
- I drank three cups of milk.
- A large number of people gathered to protest.
- I had only four hours of sleep during the last two days.
- He got a perfect score of 5 on his writing assignment.
Used to indicate the place, person, or thing that someone or something moves toward, or the direction of something:
- I am heading to the entrance of the building.
- The package was mailed to Mr. Kim yesterday.
- All of us went to the movie theater.
- Please send it back to me.
Used to indicate a limit or an ending point:
- The snow was piled up to the roof.
- The stock prices rose up to 100 dollars.
Used to indicate relationship:
- This letter is very important to your admission.
- My answer to your question is in this envelop.
- Do not respond to every little thing in your life.
Used to indicate a time or a period:
- I work nine to six, Monday to Friday.
- It is now 10 to five. (In other words, it is 4:50.)
Used to indicate the use of something:
- This place is for exhibitions and shows.
- I baked a cake for your birthday.
- I put a note on the door for privacy.
- She has been studying hard for the final exam.
Used to mean because of:
- I am so happy for you.
- We feel deeply sorry for your loss.
- For this reason, I’ve decided to quit this job.
Used to indicate time or duration:
- He’s been famous for many decades.
- I attended the university for one year only.
- This is all I have for today.